I don't experiment much with food. If I love something, I have this habit of sticking to the same order everytime I visit a particular restaurant. Which is why I always order Jughead Special in Juice shop, chicken 65 at Topsee and Kaali mirchi kaabab at Asife brothers. So, when I had the opportunity to visit OMR Food Street to try out food from their various outlets, I acted no different.
OMR Food street has been in Thoraipakkam for more than 6 months now and given that it is quite close to where I live, I frequent the place. My favorite there is the filter coffee at the corner shop which I indulge in everytime I cross that place.
We were given coupons for Rs.300 and the idea was to try out the different outlets there. It was good fun given that we were exploring the place with other fellow bloggers. The first thing I tried was a nice, juicy Chicken Shawarma. Happy customer.
Was a good start to the exploration. Excitedly, went on to experiment with Mexican and tried the Mexican Chicken Wings from this menu at MEXIKHANA. To be brutally honest, it was not something that I savored and beyond a point could not eat it fully. Not sure if it was the preparation or the sauce, it somehow left a bad taste in my mouth.
I then went on to have a nice lichie Soda from SODA HUB and for 15 Rs it was quite a loot. Loved every bit of it. Being a frequent visitor to the Elliots beach, the fish fries have always been alluring, though I have never tasted them there. So, thought would give Fish Fry a try. The vanjiram fry from the Fish O Fish counter was yummy and is surely the pick of the day for me. The lady at the counter made it so easy for me by trying to understand how I would like to have it made. Yummy yummy for sure.
By this time, I still had enough coupons, but I was already done with eating. Blame it on my poor appetite. There was always space for some dessert and I decided to indulge in some chocolate delight at the OASIS.
While these were the only things I tried on that day, I have been frequenting this place and have also had the pleasure of tasting food from the other outlets.
Ajnabi has some amazing chaats. Have done takeaways few times.
Have ordered a birthday cake from CAKE PARK.
Kumbakonam Filter Coffee is my favorite here.
All said and done, here's what I feel about the place.
- The distance for me is an advantage.
- Given that Thoraipakkam is becoming a food hub, with mostly biriyani joints, this one offers good variety for me
- Price is also not so bad on the pocket.
- I have mixed opinion on the food, though my experience has largely been very positive
- Parking is not a challenge.
- Space. I find it difficult to take my kid here.
- Given that it is street food concept, it also raises question on the hygiene of the ambiance.
- The first floor, which I am given to understand was added due to increased requests, is quite congested. I avoided Level 1 outlets because of this.
- While the wash area was present, some of my friends left thinking there was no wash area. Maybe a cleaner space for this can help.
I was also told that they are opening up a bigger space in Navallur with exclusive space for kids. I guess it would then be nice if it also offers some entertainment for toddlers.
As for the thoraipakkam outlet, I would certainly keep going back for more.