Remembering good 'ol days

Today one of my friends celebrates 5 year tenure at work. We had a small bouquet giving ceremony after barging into the conference room. In a way I was reminded of my 5 year completion a year and a half back.

In memory of all my days at work, I wrote a poem summarizing my experience and my growth ever since I started my professional life. The poem, which was forwarded to few close friends, somehow reached the hands of senior management. Surprisingly my CTO responded with a 4 line poem himself and both our works adorned the technology notice board for more than a month.

This was a poem that won me monetary reward for the first time. I still cherish those two 500 Rupee notes given to me by my Vice President. I was happy that someone at that level could appreciate talent outside the purview of work. Quite a long one it is, though I should accept it took me just 15 mins to write and for once, flow of thoughts was never a problem.

5 years, the time seems long,
a reason for me to sing this happy song,
As a trainee, started my life,
now married to work, she’s my wife.

Materials piled, all worth crores,
I started off managing that dingy store.
Looking forward to a bright career,
I kicked off dispatching and sending couriers.

Just when I was looking for a drift,
I turned technical, got into shifts,
Muthu, Madhu,Nag, Raj, Vinu my mentors,
who helped me work in the data center.

Wires, exchanges, UPS and cables,
with all of them I could write fables.
Memories of my time in Velechery,
I still cherish and will indefinitely carry.

Where I was heading I had no hint,
In 2 years I completed my NCG stint.
And one day came an organizational advice,
a change that was pleasant and extremely nice.

Just when it was time to make a mark,
I was moved to this skyscraping Tidel park,
I knew what was gonna be my work,
And that was to provide support to the network.

The one that helped me stand tall,
Was this Cisco thing called Firewall.
Then there was this implementation on PPTP,
That won me accolades, made me happy.

In what I did,I put my soul and heart,
But mistakes I made, they were my work’s part.
The NOC in Sant nagar, I isolated,
I shut Iways in Fort, glad I wasn’t hated.

Another two years just whisked past,
And my tenure in netsup didn’t last.
Then came my way that was more fun,
which was handling and managing tier1.

More now the number of problems,
And customers,too tough to pacify them.
Slowly lost my technical side,
but customers,I took them for a wonderful ride.

Too many things, too less space,
But true, there were more memorable days,
I just wish I could capture them all,
But am getting emotional,sentimental, et al.

5 years, the time seems long,
still married to work, still a happy song.
Feels overwhelming and amazingly great,
To be finally deemed a Penta-Associate.


- Writtten on 1st June, 2004

11 comments:

  1. great work man....looks like it captured every moment of the 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey...superb man...and r u in TIDEL...???i was there behind TIDEL...at CSIR mmm...from 2000-2004..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kaps
    Thanks. I did try to cover as much as possible, though there were lot of instances that don't figure here. Just inserted what was relevant and important ! :o)

    @Sophie
    Yipee Am in Tidel from 2002-till date ;o) Now I guess u spend most of your time teaching Chemistry, and away from home. Right ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to know about your 5 years of experience & my wishes for the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beuauuutiiiifuuulllll!
    I also love my job so much. but do not have the talent as u do to talk abt it!
    Keep up the good work for the coming yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats really nice.. esp this came as a good change... most of the time keep hearing the cribbing...
    Nice to see that u love ur job... :)
    Hey btw this was written 1 and half years back... u stil have the same feeling rite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lakshmi
    THank you very much :o)

    @Marc
    So what kinda work do you do ? Guess in just attempting to responding to comments, I sometimes forget to get to know the person behind the comment :o)

    @Ganga
    Thanks buddy

    @Art
    Lol ! Even there are cribbings... But then sometimes the feeling of elation overrides everything else.

    Yeah it was written a year and a half back... And am still with the same employer. That shud pretty much answer your question :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work in the Hotel Industry Somu.Presently working for a Hilton in the US..but since I am moving to the UK now,prolly change the company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow buddy Somu,

    I like the things you write poems about. That too in 15 minutes! You MUST love your office so much :-)

    And I can imagine how wonderful it must be when the senior management recognises your talent! :-) How many companies can you see like that today?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Viji
    Well it's rather difficult esp when someone is new to the corporate environment and the initial encouragement that he gets from his immidiate supervisors and peers would go a long way in moulding him. That's why am so thankful to those.

    @Marc
    Thats really nice... Guess it should be interesting to be in the hotel management line. I had my cousin who was with Meridian in Chennai for a while and she used to tell me a lot about the good times she had there :o)

    @Vinesh
    True. We don't see too many such companies... and btw, my initial idea was to use the contents of your mail to black mail you... But then, guess I changed my mind ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Somu

    Been reading some of your poems.. came across yr blog while looking for how to play Chris Mom, Chris Child...have quite forgotten how. You think you could help? Thinking of introducing it in our office this Christmas so need yr help asap.

    Wonder why there isnt anything on Google 1st page on this except your poem!

    Are you still with Sify? Its a nice change to see someone who has stuck to the same organization for more than 6 yrs. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.