A game of Cricket


 Posted by Hello

Never knew a cricket match between us (MIITS – A team I am not part of) and Enterprise Solutions would force me into writing a post. Hmmmmm.

They were definitely the underdogs.
We were the favorites.

They started playing in the nets a week back.
We were prepared to play with no preparation.

They were saying, “It’s ok to lose”.
We were like, “Ha ha ha”

Defeat was written all over their body language.
We were all set to taste victory.

They were trouncing our bowlers.
We were happy to chase a big score.

And today,
They hit a massive 175 in 20 overs.
We were all out for 167.

We had good bowlers and batsmen.
They had the spirit, enthusiasm and fire in them.

My Contribution:
7 runs and a wicket.
My learnings:
Never underestimate your enemy.
Never be complacent.
Never brim with over confidence.

There is nothing that can inspire me more than my own words. I wrote this poem (Never say die) more than a year back, and I thought it fits today’s situation to a tee.

The first carving is never the sculpture in display.
The first draft is never the Novel published.
The first sketch is never the Painting that sold.
The first scribble is never the Poem in print.
The first brawl is never the battle won.
The first step is never the Everest conquered.
The first stride is never the Journey traveled.
The first effort is never the Mission accomplished.
The first attempt is never Triumph in hand.
Victory does not come at the very first go,
As someone said,
You have to fail your way to success.


P.S. Photo Courtesy : www.phys.unsw.edu.au

15 comments:

  1. A point well made!
    I always felt that i should be humble at victory and defeat.. but i do falter keeping me cool sometimes. nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Somu, so u folks lost, congrats. I wont say it was bad cuz over confidence IS in fact injurious for health. What I feel is that one should never under-estimate or over-estimate anyone , not even a 2 yr old kid!(though I tend to repeat the same mistake over and over again)
    Hey this is the poem I put up last year in the school :-))

    BTW, thanx for peeping in I would try to continue. Just looking about the portal as of now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. exception, the first draft is usually the post published ;)

    life keeps springing on us the most obvious lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooops! You have been tagged! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anand,
    sometimes humility can help avoid humiliation... and am I sounding philosophical ? hmmm Thanks for the blogroll... I followed suit too :o)

    @Sonal
    Yeah its the same poem that you put in your school last year. Just thought it was appropriate to post it today :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sangeetha,
    Lol ????
    Tagged ????
    Grrrrrrrr !!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tipsy
    Are you sure ? Though it takes just a while to draft once I decide what am gonna post on, I do a bit of editing too :o) Mostly that involves cutting down words and sentences that I can do without...

    Btw, if they are so obvious why do we wait for them to spring up ? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. its never late to learn....

    and welcome back, nice to know your trip was good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it happens in life.... that we underestimate someone, who cross over you soon... Better to learn things from these incidents, and not to worry about it....Carry on.

    I liked the Australian cricket match picture... I received it sometime back as one of the rare pic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good poem...
    A to some extent very true too...
    Though some times ur first time is the most important one in life...
    But yes its ok if we fail the first time....
    After all "Failure is the stepping stone for success" :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Smyta,
    Thanks madam !!!


    @Ashish,
    Thanks to you too. The trip was tiring. But was fruitful :o) Best things in life are learnt late :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ram
    Your words reminds me of the Hare and the tortoise race... I liked the pic too... Such a field placement sure would be menacing :o)

    @Aarthy
    Thanks a lot. And yeah, failures form the foundation of a successful career. They are just road blocks that we to cross to enjoy rest of life's journey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please all my poems on cricket.Was reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.