Campus Recruitments

Tears of joy and tears of sorrow I witnessed yesterday. Everytime we set our foot onto a college for recruitments, it happens. The freshers hunt for the forthcoming year started with an Engineering college in Chennai and am I really pepped up?

The magical moment of my selection 6 years back was recalled. Hope in my eyes, anxiety in my mind, and desperation in my actions. Everything flashed past.

Now, I see it in these prospective professionals. Some are brilliant, yet not so communicative. Some are unrestrained, yet not so technical. Given the limitations I need to work with, I can select only a few. And its indigestible to know my decisions can disappoint students.

Yesterday, it was just as emotional to the students as it always is, when the results were announced. I sparked a little smile when I walked past the ones selected, and managed a grim face and a good luck when I met the other ones.

Campuses normally paint a rosy picture. But to me it’s just the otherwise. Who am I to mar or make the career of an individual? I know it’s my job, but what authority do I have to deny a candidate from pursuing his dreams ? Such questions can prick a conscience.

Hmmm 15 more colleges to go. Sigh.

P.S. On a lighter note, the last candidate asked me how it feels to be on the other side of the table. And I said, “Back then, I had to know the answers. But today, it’s just enough I know the questions”. There are lot of funny questions and answers that emerge, maybe I shall post them all after I complete my round of 15.

5 comments:

  1. oh...poor guys...don't rag them much ;)

    have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way... I come across as one of the nicest recruiters ;o))))) And I sure do have lots of fun. Am just waiting to hear from my boss if I would be going to CBE tomo for another round of interviews :o))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... u are one among those devils(?!!) going to colleges for recruiting ah...

    But, i can understand ur conscience pricking u.. anyway, y dont u make it up next time by speaking some cheering words to those who werent selected rather than jus being grim, cos, its only those who need some encouragement??

    even though they couldnt make it to ur company, they'll surely remember ur words and move ahead....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anand, yeah I am one of those devils :o) The problem is we don't get to meet the students after the results. The reason being, it is late and most students are gone by that time.

    However, we do sit with the councellors and explain to them where the students are making mistakes so that it can be passed onto them.

    This time around we made an online evaluation which now enables us to give individual feedback on the students. Very true that they need words of encouragement at times like this.

    Thanks for dropping by :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smithaa,

    Back in action again ? Well, I can see that. Infact, I went through a post recently written by one of the chennai bloggers on how to answer a campus recruitment question. Hmmm funny it was but royally pulled the legs of recruiters.

    Just like how we have stories to tell about the funny answers they gave, am sure they wud have stories to tell about how funny our questions were.

    We always come a full circle in life. Well, its only natural that we taste our medicines... Yenna sollureenga ?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.