Science vs Signs


 Posted by Hello

One thing I have always believed I never believed in was superstition. Hooting of owls, black cat or walking under the ladder have always meant nothing to me. But, the day I left for Coimbatore I experienced a revelation, that was against my beliefs, my viewpoints, and myself. All this because of whatever that happened.

Just 5 minutes before I left home the power went off and I was like “oops, did it have to fail at this time?

Moments later I was climbing down the stairs in the dark. I slipped and fell off half way through and my luggage came tumbling after. And I was like “Is something wrong today?”

I went back inside, had a glass of water and sat down for about ten minutes. In my mind I was like “My time ain’t right. Something bad is gonna happen”

At the Coimbatore station, I misplaced my purse. After 15 mins of frantic search, I finally found it. And I was like “Is this the beginning of my misfortune?”


Despite my strong impression on the absence of the Supernatural, I was occupied by a sense of unease throughout the journey. Would the train derail, would the van crash onto the median, or would something happen to me? Questions of such nature kept echoing in the deepest corners of my mind.

Today, back in the comforts of my home, I realize am safe, am untouched by any evil force and that I am in my pristine state. “Events of such nature cannot predict future nor is it an indication of anything that is destined”, I reassure myself.

One concept, mixed feelings and all in two days. So, I am sitting here confused about the question am not able to answer even with an iota of confidence. Am I superstitious or am I not?

P.S. Cartoon courtesy by www.cartoonstock.com

8 comments:

  1. Ohh poor thing! Hope you are fine now and how was your trip??
    Be safe, always. Take care

    (PS - BTW, you really dont have to be up so early/late to post your blog! That's too much! Until of course you were not sleepy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Walks in,reads the post,thinks for a while and counts on fingures and realises it is not a right time to comment,so walks off with a a word "WILL BE BACK"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now for the serious part, Hope u r doing fine and hope u r smiling after all the exp:) if not then now smile reading my comments:)
    Superstitious or not i dont know somu but we are all scared,when something goes wrong we are scared that we might be hurt,feel that we might be in trouble, dont want to take chances, Because at times we are helpless after doing everything as per perfection also,maybe we call it destiny:) Takecare buddy,good to see u back and was waiting for u r posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether you are superstitious or not?

    Most of the people around you follow certain rules... That makes you to feel, that you need to follow them. If you feel that it satisfies your mind, then why not? You can still follw them, right...

    Even 'Amma' follows that regularly, right...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ganga,
    Thanks Ganga. Not posting for two days seems like a long time. I also realized I had lots of post to catch up with. You are right, we are what we believe we are. But I was caught between "I believe" and "I don't believe"... Whatever that happened with Superstition happens with God too... Sometimes I wonder why can't everything be based on Science, atleast we know there is a tangible proof to it.

    @Sonal
    Am safe and sound. No scratch, no pain :o)
    I was back from a movie and was just not sleepy. So thought would use the time to make a post. Am happy that your whispering solitude is up. Keep it going strong.

    Trip was really tiring. And am still tired :o)


    @Neelima
    Ha ha ha ! Am glad you came back "at the right time". True, we think of even paranormal things only when situations go out of hand. When all else is fine, we move on with our lives with lil or absolutely no worry :o)
    And needless to say, I did not want to keep you waiting for long :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Smyta,
    Nalla Soneenga. Bad omen to be superstitious. True it could be as bad as I think. You know, sometimes we believe in things so strongly, that we act or behave in such ways that would make our beliefs come true. Its something similar to the psychosomatic disorders. Actions are triggered by thoughts and maybe that's y they say, think good.

    Yenna sollureenga ?



    @Ram,
    Right Ram. Only that should we blindly follow rules because someone else follows. One thing that we are always apprised on at work is whether we challenge the normal. And sometimes I think if my belief in no superstition was because of my wanting to stand out from the rest. So again, if I am doing it just to stand out, it does mean I believe in superstition. Confusion again.

    But then, maybe because of things that happened in quick succession I was forced into thinking the way I had thought. Generally, I never pay heed to isolated instances of supposed bad omens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well... Superstitious or not... i think its just the feeling... Sometimes when we want everything to be rite, we have some fear if it will go wrong... Then maybe any small wrong thing which happens seems like a bad omen to us....
    May be thats the reason...
    Good that u r back safe... how was ur trip??? Do write about ur trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Aarthy,

    Trip was cool. I was tired and exhausted. Used up the entire weekend to recharge myself. Phew ! Have to write about the trip. Even before I can do that, I have another trip to talk about :o)... So for now, the CBE trip is pushed to the back seat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.