Sivaji - My take


Thursday night preview show. Not because I wanted to figure out the big deal about this movie, but because am a hardcore Rajini fan. Local theatre. No fan. No AC. And people smoking their way to glory. Nothing mattered. Because it's a Rajini movie. Very religiously got hold of bunch of flowers to shower upon my hero. Well, that's me - a diehard fan. I write this as a Rajini fan and not as any critic. This is no analysis of the movie, but just a jotting of the volley of emotions that I was going through as the movie progressed from beginning till end.


A powerful introduction, a foot tapping intro number that builds to a crescendo before the superstar enters, comedy splattered all across the movie, his trademark style every now and then and punch dialogues – My only expectations out of the movie. Only this time it was accompanied by the belief that they would be met by the dream team ofShankar.


I have nothing to talk about the introduction scene. I had to stand up to watch what was going on, and had to strain my ears to listen to what he had to say. And I miserably failed. People dancing and screaming made it virtually impossible. But what followed, andremained for the rest of the movie was a total surprise for me – Silence. Not sure if it was because Rajini had the audiences attention or he failed to make a notable first impression. To me it seemed more like the latter.


While the songs have been very stylishly packaged, and I have pretty much only WOW comments on them, Ballelakka needs a special mention. Shankar, the most celebrated director seemed to have lacked the finesse to write a screenplay that had a situation leading to an intro song with the superstar dancing in real life. It has been 5 days sincethe movie, and I still cannot think of another intro song of superstar that was a dream sequence. The song seemed out of place and unwarranted This is when my disappointment began to creep in.


While the Vivek and Rajini duo did manage to make me laugh my wits out, I remember telling my brother how irritating and childish some of the sequences were. I am ok with my hero romancing a 20 year old, but then some amount of maturity in the role could have made the romance and the intended comedy click “throughout”. Solomon papaiya seemed to have been brought in just for Raja to take revenge for all the pattimandra insults. Otherwise, he only contributed to more decibel levels. The Rajini – Shreya family sequences (pazhagura scenes)were irritating, immature, and could have been avoided barring few exceptions.


INTERVAL.


And I was sitting there wondering what went wrong. Did Shankar forget the basics ? Did Sujata not understand the masses ?


Just when I was about to give up on Sivaji, came the Rajini challenge to change the scenario. Post interval had a different story to tell. Excitement mounted with every single scene starting from the Tea shop drama. And by the time motta boss made an entry, he had managed to resurrect all the faded spirits. Yeah. He did manage to change thescenario. Second half had me on the edge of my seat on most occasions. Adhiradi ( would have been an apt intro for Rajini), the hero – villain verbal clashes, Vivek comical interruptions, larger than life heroism of superstar, Rajini gimmicks (Chewing gum, coin flip, kewl, pera ketaale adhiruthula, the tap on the motta thala) the fight sequences, and the motta boss were just enough to keep the second half ticking.


On the whole it was more like a roller coaster ride. At one point it made me feel like puking, at many points it made me scream and I enjoyed most part of it. End of the ride, no one remembers how they felt at each point. But they know for a fact if they enjoyed the ride or not. I loved it just for the one-man phenomenon. I can screw everything else just for the matchless marvel. I can pardon all the shortcomings of the movie for the incomparable Superstar.

To sum it up, Rajini singlehandedly carries the movie on his shoulders with support from very well picturized songs and some good comedy. WATCH IT JUST FOR HIM. Am watching it again this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday JUST FOR HIM.

16 comments:

  1. Ungala mathiri fans irukka varaikkum onnum panna mudiyadhu:)
    Nothing can be done as long as you diehard fans out there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i too wanna watch it for Rajini sake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rajni's movies are usually out of their logic. Who cares ? The masses love him, nothing can change that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi....

    i too felt quite irritated at the pazhagura scenes... then i convinced myself thinking that shankar had packaged them to entertain the family crowd... to whom solomon pappayya and raja are household names....

    adhiradi has no parallel... i managed to see it first day first show... the sheer hysteria was enough to enjoy the movie....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello ,
    First time here.
    As the anonymous havementioned...With die hard fans- kadhaiye ilaati kooda padam odum. Me no movie freak - so no comments.
    However - you have very neatly presented the review. :) Good work.

    Cheers
    Marutham :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ungala ellam patha sippu varuthu sippu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly same thoughts for me also. Guess in a way we are carrying the movie in our shoulders. :(

    But who cares, even if it is a slide for a beedi advt with Rajni's face shown for 3 hours, we can still see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. terrific blog somu.. fantastic.. I think this is the best ever review of sivaji.. I think you should be writing for rediff's or sify, because the guys who write there are reallly really average.. keep up your good blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi ,

    I can say that am a big fan of Rajini once upon a time & my expectation on this movie was just to see the good human succeed.
    It was Shankar who pulled me most, to see the FDFS.

    The so called irritating scenes of ‘Pazagarathu’ went well with my kids and mother & hope could have attracted the ladies crowd too.

    The remarkable thing on this movie is how Rajini fitted in to the role. The white painted song, his replay of MGR , Sivaji & Kamal styles, Allowing Vivek to over-score on comedy scenes are the exhibit to this. On the day of release he said in NDTV that its a Shankar movie and he has fitted in to his expectation & I 100% vouch after seeing the movie. He is a such a great human being so modest.

    Shankar is a good strategist , For an year and more he released the images from the white painted song which was screened for 5 minutes miss leading the public and shown the younger Rajini to the surprise of all during the time of release. Tough it was not nice, I think its part of major strategy

    The timing of this movie release is again planned at the fag end of the summer vacation which is not a safe bet but have major yield. He released Annian also in the same time which impacted slightly Chandaramki too.

    If you watch clearly all the media images till today, the 'MOTTAI' has not been shown at all ; and will be hitting the media after 20/25 days of release.

    Shankar knows that he needs only 15 minutes to cover the HARDCORE Rajini fans and timed it accordingly to manage the dents he cased to them. But in the most part of the time he covered the other section of the crowd well. This will help Rajini gaining new fans in the age group of under 12.

    When two big guys join, they will spoil the other guy segment which is quite opposite in this that’s because they have jelled well. Forget all the comments made by the fans and the opportunists –
    Sivaji is a must see experience which is worth spending a decent value. Congrats to Shankar and Rajini.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anon
    Exactly... That's what thalaivar does with his inimitable style.. Win loyalty from his fans :)

    @Sophie
    Paathiya illaya padatha ?

    @Ramya
    What's ur take after watching the movie ? Glad to know that u enjoyed whistling during the movie... Pls do learn to whistle with ur fingers :)))

    @Balaji
    True. I watched it a third time with my folks at home... To my surprise the women and the kids enjoyed the movie thouroughly...

    @Marutham
    Thanks for dropping in and penning your comments. :)

    @Sankar
    Chellam, enna vechu comedy keemidy yethum pannaliye ? ;)))

    @Srikanth
    Vango vango... Long time... We ain't carrying the movie on our shoulders... Thalaivar is... Neenga paathuteengala ? :)

    @Raj
    Dai, too much. Saw it three times dude, and am loving every bit of the movie. Glad to know its doing good business in the BO.

    @PSK
    If you carefully note, I have really not mentioned what others would have felt about the movie. True that its a big draw for the family crowd... My nephew still keeps raving about it and my sis (who is a diehard kamal fan) loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a pity that 've not watched the movie yet and all thse blogs and posts just urge me to go out and enjoy the movie. Would probably do it this weekend. BTW, like the first comment, as long as there are die-hard rajini fans' (am one too), the superstar would just rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back to blogging with a bang ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey.... its me the ex-blogger ******ZzZ u may wanna update ur blog roll.... i watched the movie... it was a very different movie compared to his usual and the acting was really good i thot by everyone... overall best was the vivek rajini combo... awesome stuff.... good to see u still blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. in spite of being rajinis die hard fan your review to the movie was well balanced .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your blog and thought I could tell you about something else which would be useful for seeing maps and directions in India.

    I am writing to tell you about MapmyIndia.com, a free interactive maps and directions portal for all India.

    We have recently launched our next generation v2008, whose main focus is to provide meaningful and useful directions from anywhere to anywhere in India. Next time you need to go somewhere unfamiliar, we want you to know you have a reliable and easy option to get directions – MapmyIndia.com!

    As a company and individual enthusiasts, we dream only of solving the problem of reliable directions and navigation for India. For your blog specifically, you can map enable it by using our youtube-style embeddable maps, and links to specific searches (of maps, directions, local and eLocation) on MapmyIndia.

    Do give us feedback, suggestions, or get involved yourself by mailing me back at tarun@mapmyindia.com or marketing@mapmyindia.com.

    And if you find the different services useful, we would be grateful to you for writing and telling your readers about us.

    Warm Regards,
    Tarun Gupta
    The MapmyIndia Team
    For directions in India, just search print and go with MapmyIndia.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are awesome!! next time please please take me along for a first day first show... its one of my vaazhkai latchiyams :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.