Broken Promises

I don’t make promises, at least not to everyone. And if I do make one, that person definitely carries a lot of significance in my life. It was about a year back that I promised a very close friend of mine that I would renounce certain habits in life. I did bring in the requisite control in me to live up to the promise. The damned visit to the US saw the rebirth of the same habit that I promised to give up.

So far, this has been a well-kept secret from my friend. Yesterday, during a very casual conversation, when she asked me, “So, Somu… Do you still have that habit?”… I was caught between the devil and the deep sea. I had two options at my disposal. Lie about it and feel guilty or be honest and win the wrath of a good friend. And I did what I felt was the right thing to do. Be honest.

Now, I have a question for myself. Does being honest nullify the effect of breaking a promise? After all, there is no proverbial reference to breaking promises being the worst of policies. Am I absolved from the sin I committed by being honest?

Only one can answer that question.