Cooking up a story ;o)


Posted by Hello
I learnt how to upload a pic here and so this post. Besides, I now have a blogroll, blogstreet link and a stat counter. Thanks to Sangeeta (http://toerag.blogspot.com/) who enlightened me of all these in just about couple of hrs time.

This photo was taken during the Outbound Learning Program in Bangalore we had recently. The challenge was to cook food for a group of ten delegates.I can fry in the hot sun, boil in anger, grill my subordinates, steam up in frustration, heat up an argument, cook up a story , but my actual culinary skills were a BIG ZERO. You can now understand my calling it a challenge.

Having been put to this task, I had to do my part for my team. So I did the things I knew. I washed the plates, moved things around for the chef, refilled the bucket of water used for washing, cleaned the chicken and squeezed all water out of it (That’s me doing exactly that) - A reason why this picture has been cautiously kept away from my mother’s eyes. She would fume in fury as I never bother to help her in the kitchen.

While the learning out of this was to understand how teams worked, how people in a team can have varying talents and how effectively can we use their talents to perform specific tasks that entail use of these definite skills, I learnt something else too. We appreciate shade when scorching in hot sun, we value water when we are dying of thirst, and I realized how complex the art of cooking is when I was stranded with all the ingredients and I had to cook .

How many times have I walked away from dinner because I found the food bland, how many times have I eaten at the food court (despite home food being at my disposal) and how many times have I told my mom that breakfast could have been better ? I had been happy when the best of life was showered on me, but sneered at its slightest variation from being the best. If not appreciate, I have decided never to find fault in whatever I get to eat at home.

P.S. After all this, the chef was really disappointed with me for not squeezing out water completely from the chicken. Phew… Good work never gets appreciated.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogspot:) and u sure said it right,when we have everything at our disposal we dont understand the imp of it,but when we loose it or face the hardships we realise what the imp is all abt:)
    Happy blogging nad keep posting,and by the way,i came from Sangeethas blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find people behaving wierd in these OBls than during normal work :))

    have fun...welcome to blogspot...me too came via Sangeeta's blog..

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Phew… Good work never gets appreciated."

    Just like ur mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,thanks for dropping by my blog :)...u know u can improve ur cooking skills..practice makes perfect ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to blogspot.

    Hmm.. i tried cooking when I had to stay alone in the UK, and miserably failed :(...

    Arun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting project this cookery thing...good for others that is...:p I hate cooking myself!

    Here from Sangeeta's blog....hope to see some more good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. coming from Sangeeta's blog...

    Hi somu, welcome to the fascinating world of blogs. Hope to meet you often.

    Regards,

    my blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Somu!!! U looking so sweet there! And know what, I like whatever I cook!! lol. Reason you can very well understand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to make my hubby read this post...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can do that Sangeetha, but i have only stopped complaining, I have not started helping. So, it might really not serve the actual purpose :o)))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.