PPNC

On Friday, I received my appraisal papers. And I called to mind the first ever hike I got 5 years back. It was a whopping 200%. Something I sincerely owe, not to my performance and efforts, but to the dot com boom. Happy news and so it was shared with all my friends I had in my peers and seniors.

Two days later I received a call from HR informing me of a substantial slash in my hiked package. It was simply blamed on a technical glitch that led to a calculation error. The very same day, I found myself in the room of my bigger boss. There was lot of gyan. But one thing that stuck on to me like glue was his words, “Somu, at work, no one is a friend, everyone is your colleague and everything is PPNC”

And that explained the HR invented technical glitch.

Even today, I have my friends at work. But there is a thin line between us that keeps popping up everytime I am tempted to disclose what should otherwise not be. When I receive anything enclosed in the official envelope, like a rhyme, the bigger boss’s words keep repeating in my mind.

“At work, no one is a friend, everyone is your colleague, and everything is PPNC (Private Personal ‘n’ Confidential) – My first lesson as a Professional.

12 comments:

  1. A lesson well learnt I guess!!!.. Shall remember this.. may help me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viv, be wise and learn from other's mistakes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude hope your hike's good this time around...

    still awaiting my appraisal..may be today or tomorrow.

    pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hai.......since u asked abt ur style of blogging (it's another issue that I am not a great writer nor critic), I take the privilege in pointing out certain glaring points in ur blogs.....

    Well, to tell the truth ur blogs are very simple and realistic that anyone can relate with......basically, ur blogs helps the reader to travel into his/her inner recesses of mind and in this aspect, he/she gains pleasure in realizing various aspects of life......a blog itself can reveal the character of a person.......for me, u seem to be a person who doesn't put airs around u.......ur blogs speak abt the truth that underlines life and a glaring point here is that u don't exaggerate points.......people prefer such blogs since they don't preach anything, instead gives relaxation.......

    That's it from me!...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, I should accept I was not disappointed with my hike. In fact we had planned night out to celebrate it too...

    Good luck with yours. Am sure all ur efforts in the past year would pay off.

    Do keep me posted :o)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lalitha, thanks. Nice of you to have taken the time to read and point out. Really appreciate that !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lessons one learn... sometimes on the job...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post....nice lesson..i learnt it the heard way though

    COngratz!! Your blog crossed 1000 hits!!! Way to go boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a matter of fact Sangeetha, most of it comes from the refresh button in my PC and the rest are redirects from your post.

    Btw, how did you get to learn this lesson ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. sigh...long story..will tell u some day..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Somu,
    I'm not really sure about that. Looks like a very cynical thought to me. I believe trusting others, sharing things and "being friends" all contirbute to diffusing tensions, if any !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well it could be cynical Abhishek. The point is we need to know whom to trust. Who we think could be friends probably is sharing just a professional relationship with us. I do not say give up on building relationships at work. Just have to be cautious !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my post. Do leave me a comment if you liked the post.